Monday 9 January 2012

New beginnings, new discoveries...

I simply stumbled into baking one afternoon. I thought I’d bake a chocolate cake to get through a boring afternoon. Little did I know it would lead to the discovery of an unknown facet of myself and the beginning (I think!) of a lifelong passion. Having a mother and an elder sister who are accomplished home cooks, I always stayed clear of the kitchen. “It’s just not my thing”, I said. So imagine my sense of bewilderment when at the end of that afternoon, I of all people should ask my mother for her old baking books to look for something “new to try”!!

Suddenly baking seemed to me appeal in a way that I had never imagined. The precision of measurements and technique required to achieve the end result called out to the fastidious perfectionist in me in a way that cooking never could. I revelled in the fact that I as someone who had never cooked successfully could now produce something that didn’t just look beautiful but tasted fantastic. And nothing prepared me for the wonderful, feel-good and homey aroma that engulfed my kitchen every time I baked.

It roused the dormant baker in me to open my mother’s old cookery books, devour food blogs, follow cooking shows as I searched for recipes, thought of flavour combinations and obsessed over getting the technique just right so that the final result was perfect! I didn’t let the heat and humidity or the lack of ingredients (both common woes that plague bakers across India) deter me. It was as if there was a baker within me all these years, just waiting to be discovered!

This blog is a personal diary of my adventures in baking as I explore the various facets of baking while somewhere, somehow discovering unknown facets of myself along the way. The recipes are ones that I have adapted from various recipe books, blogs or sometimes a handwritten special scribbled on a yellowing piece of paper discovered while flipping through old books and diaries or even recipe boxes!! The photographs are taken with a simple point-and-shoot camera and you’ll have to bear with me while I find my way around. So, do drop by when you can...I look forward to it!!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck to you ! I am sure you are going to enjoy yourself :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...