I am a 'morning' person. You will never hear me grumble about an early start to the day. If anything, I am a happier, more productive person when the day starts early. I can imagine how this fact is beyond the realm of understanding for many of you owls out there. I am friends with some of you!!
And so it is natural, that I enjoy a good breakfast. Not for me is just a hurried cup of coffee on the go. Weekday mornings maybe a boring, monotonous affair but the weekends are a different matter altogether. Life lets you a breathe a little easier, so grab the opportunity and indulge yourself!
Eggs are a favourite and for some, a natural choice for breakfast. And it offers so many choices. You could have it boiled, half-boiled, fried, scrambled, poached, as an omelette, as French toast or as I made them, baked!
Adapt the baked eggs recipe according to your taste and to what's available in your fridge. Me, I went all the way. I started with a slice of ham, then some wilted spinach, some cheese and then topped it off with an egg.
Put away everything else and savour these eggs.. they deserve that much for the good mood they are going to put you in, once you are done! The saltiness of the ham, the creaminess of the cheese, the vibrancy of the spinach and then there's the perfection of the eggs...there is not only the different tastes from all the components but also the different textures that simply complement each other.
Baked Eggs with Ham and Spinach
Recipe from the website, 'Taste.com.au'. Serves 2
- 2-4 Slices of Ham (pork or chicken), depending on the size of the slices
- 75 gms spinach
- 4 teaspoons grated cheese
- 2 eggs
- Buttered toast, to serve
- Pre-heat oven to 180 deg C. Take two oven proof ramekins and lightly warm them in the oven, for about a minute or so. Lightly grease the ramekins. Line the base and sides with the slices of ham.
- Place spinach in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on 'high for' 1 minute 30 seconds or until just wilted. Transfer spinach to a sieve. Using the back of a spoon, press down on spinach to drain excess liquid.
- Divide spinach between prepared ramekins. Sprinkle each with 2 teaspoons grated cheese.
- Gently crack 1 egg into each dish. Season with salt and pepper. Place dishes on a baking tray. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes or until egg white is just set or depends on how you like your eggs.
- Remove from oven. Stand for 2 minutes. Serve with toast.